Good Morning Deerfooters!
For as long as I can remember I have struggled with my desire to be God's Man.
The issue has seldom been “what would the Lord have me do?” – for most of the time I have known what God desires of me. The question for me most often has been: “Do I really want to do what God desires for me …more than what I, in my humanness, would like to do?”
this struggle was common to the men we read about in the bible.
- Adam faced this choice – and chose what he wanted to do (Genesis 3)
- Moses faced this choice – and became the leader out of Egypt (Exodus 3)
- Joshua faced this choice – and led the battle against Jericho (Joshua 3)
- King David faced this choice – and chose a relationship with Bathsheba (II Samuel 11)
- Gideon faced this choice – and delivered God's people with an army of 300 (Judges 6)
- Jesus faced this choice – and willingly went to the cross to accomplish our salvation (Luke 22)
- Paul reminds us that he struggled with this question continually (Romans 7)
So why should we be surprised when we struggle between what God desires for us…and that which we feel would benefit us…or at least be…fun? It makes no sense that I have struggled in this way, for I experientially know the absolute value of living “In Partnership with God”. The only explanation must be what the Bible says it is: Satan is alive and well… and does not want me to obey God's directives – any more than he wanted Jesus to (I Peter 5:8)
I feel the greatest gift I can give to you at this time is words that encourage you to live in obedience to God's desire for you. Our conscious awareness that we can live In Partnership with God impacts our interpretation of what is happening to us, and through us. If we choose to live In Partnership with God, then God has the responsibility of enabling us to do our God assigned work – what ever it takes. As we do this, we live with a God given inner peace.
Deerfoot has benefited by my obedience to God's direction – and not just from my obedience, but also the obedience of Sally Jo – and the DL Board – staff – and donors of prayer, time, money, …and “stuff”. Enough of us have worked at doing what is right before the Lord that what has happened, and continues to happen, exceeds logic..is way beyond what we could reasonably expect.
I will develop these one page devotionals as I work through the men of the Bible – using 23 years of After Breakfast Bible Studies as the basis. I look forward to having “In Partnership with God” on your computer screen each Monday Morning. I welcome your response to these devotionals with an e-mail to me…I will answer. It is always good to know they are being read.